Bringing Structure to Biology
Explore the aesthetic beauty of life at the smallest of scales
The Protein Data Bank in Europe, The Art Society CANTAB and The Art Society GRANTA are working with local school art departments to create artworks inspired by the molecules of life. PDBe maintains a free, worldwide database containing 150,000 3D shapes of biological molecules important for scientific and medical research. The molecules are too small to see even with a normal microscope, and yet can form incredibly complex structures. In this project, PDBe scientists help students explore the PDB database and different methods of depicting these molecules. The students, with support of their teachers, then use these structures as inspiration for the creation of artworks.
PDB Art Exhibition 2020: Molecules of Life (Virtual):
This year, due to circumstances with COVID-19, our exhibition has gone virtual!
You can explore the virtual exhibition below, or by visiting the online gallery at Artsteps.
We hosted a virtual opening of the 2020 PDB Art Exhibition on Friday 4th November at 5pm (GMT). The event included a virtual tour of the exhibition, talks from Dr. Lori Passmore (MRC-LMB) and artist Melissa Pierce Murray, plus some words from the students involved in this year's project.
We have made the recording of the event available on our YouTube channel and it is available to watch below.
- Explore the featured structures based on an artwork
- Read about events and exhibitions featuring resulting artwork
- Read about the 2017 PDB Art Exhibition featuring artwork from PDB Art
- Read about the 2018 PDB Art Exhibition featuring artwork from PDB Art
- Read about the 2019 PDB Art Exhibition featuring artwork from PDB Art
- View the artworks from the 2018 PDB Art exhibition and see them in 3D!
- You can download a PDF of the 2020 calendar featuring images the students have created
- You can download a PDF of the 2019 calendar featuring images the students have created
- You can download a PDF of the 2018 calendar featuring images the students have created
- You can download a PDF of the 2017 calendar featuring images the students have created
Resources for Students and Teachers
- Explore the Pinterest account designed in particular for use in the classroom, to inspire and educate
- Here you can download a PDF of an introductory worksheet for use in the classroom
- Here you can download a PDF of an activity to use in conjunction with the PDB Art Pinterest account
- Here you can download a PDF of a virus net to print and fold up
- Here you can download a PDF of our protein structure colouring book for you to print out and colour in - or give to a future scientist!
To find out more drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Schools currently engaged in the project: