How we are funded
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), the largest part of our funding comes from the governments of EMBL’s member states. The global importance of our work is reflected in the fact that we also attract significant funds from external sources, including some beyond Europe.
Some of our other major funders include the European Commission, the US National Institutes of Health, the Wellcome Trust, UK Research Councils and our Industry Programme partners.
The UK’s Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) has awarded major grants in support of EMBL-EBI’s role as a host to the ELIXIR Hub and a key ELIXIR Node. These funds have been used to develop a robust compute infrastructure that will allow EMBL-EBI to efficiently manage an ever-expanding and diversifying range of public data services.
Read about our achievements, growth, funding and staff in our latest Impact Report.
With thanks to our funders
Our funders make it possible for us to deliver open data resources, perform excellent research and provide professional training for the global scientific community. In 2016 our funders included:
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- British Heart Foundation
- Cancer Research UK
- European Commission
- European Molecular Biology Organisation
- European Research Council
- Foundation of the National Institutes of Health
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Human Frontier Science Program
- Innovate UK
- International Policy Governance Organization
- Medical Research Council
- National Institutes of Health
- National Science Foundation
- Parkinson’s UK
- Research Councils UK