This module aims to give the scientific community hands on experiences on how to access and effectively use protein data in UniProt. UniProt is a high quality, most comprehensive and most thoroughly annotated protein resource. Participants will be able to access detailed information on protein function and millions of protein sequences in the UniProt knowledgebase, including isoforms and disease variants.
This workshop is suitable for researchers interested in different aspects of proteins including their sequences and functions. No previous bioinformatics experience is required, but an undergraduate level knowledge of biology would be an advantage.
Modules and resources
Participants should be able to:
- identify information about all aspects of a protein of interest such as function, interactions, disease association, etc
- investigate protein homology via sequence similarity searches and alignments
- use UniProt to connect to specialized resources in different areas of biology
- access proteomes for completely sequenced organisms
- download customized datasets
This course runs from 09:30-12:30 including breaks.