Ensembl: Browsing genomes
This course focuses on genomes on the Ensembl website at www.ensembl.org. It provides a quick beginner's guide to the overall structure of the Ensembl genome browser.
A knowledge of some genomics is required, and some bioinformatics knowledge would be useful but is not essential.
About this course
- Understand what Ensembl is and where the data come from
- Know how to access and navigate the Ensembl homepage
- Be able to search the Ensembl browser with a gene, location (a region of a genome), or polymorphism of interest
- Know how to explore a region on a genome, a gene and a transcript
- Understand where to view gene trees, sequence variation, and possible regions involved in gene regulation in Ensembl
- Be able to view a sequence for a gene, protein, or a genome of interest
- Understand where the genes come from
- Understand the different ways the results are presented in Ensembl (including the gene, location, transcript and variation tabs)
- Be able to export Ensembl data quickly and easily with the browser and BioMart