A curated set of EMBL-EBI online courses
This curated pathway brings together a number of online tutorials and recorded webinars to provide an introduction to bioinformatics, a brief tour of the resources available from EMBL-EBI and more details about some of those resources, including Ensembl, UniProt and Expression Atlas.
Who is this course for?
This pathway is for anyone with an interest in learning about bioinformatics and EMBL-EBI resources. No prior skills are required, but undergraduate level knowledge of life sciences would be useful.
What will I achieve?
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Outline what bioinformatics is
- Describe the importance of data management
- Recall which resources are available from EMBL-EBI
- Know where to find information about genes
- View information on gene expression
- Search for protein information
- Know where to find out more about EMBL-EBI resources
What resources do I need?
There are no specific resources required to complete this course.
- Bioinformatics for the terrified
- What is bioinformatics?
- An introduction to EMBL-EBI resources
- A journey through bioinformatics at EMBL-EBI
- Have you used an EMBL-EBI resource before?
- Bringing data to life
- Finding information about genes with Ensembl
- Finding expression data
- Searching for protein sequence and functional information data
- Collection challenge
- Collection completed!
- Your feedback
How and when to access the course
All our courses are designed with flexibility in mind. You can access them for free at any time, just click on the “Enter Course” button.
It is up to you how you use the course; you can either study the full course or you can focus on sections that are relevant to you. To jump between sections, use the navigation bar on the left or the arrows at the bottom of the page. You can also choose whether to complete the course in one go, or over several visits.
The average time to work through the pathway is >3 hours, but each section within the pathway also gives an indication of how long it will take and you do not need to complete it all at once. The time may vary depending on your prior knowledge and how you choose to work through the course.
Making the most of the course
Learning something new takes time and practice. We encourage you to:
- Use the activities and quizzes to help you check your learning, recall and apply key concepts. Look out for these icons:-
Activities Quizzes Videos
- Revisit sections as and when you need them. Bookmark relevant pages in your browser or use the navigation panel to jump the relevant section.
Getting help and providing feedback
If something isn’t working or if you have a question get in touch by contacting us at email@example.com
Tell us what you thought about the course (both good and bad!) using the “Feedback and help” button found at the top of each page.
Your feedback helps us ensure we are providing training that is relevant and useful for you.
For help and support on EMBL-EBI resources you can contact the helpdesk directly.
You can explore other training on offer from EMBL-EBI on our website. We offer online courses, webinars, face-to-face courses and offsite training.