- Course overview
- Search within this course
- What is bioinformatics?
- The role of public databases
- What makes a good bioinformatics database?
- Tips on managing and sharing data
- Where do I submit my data?
- Bioinformatics as an experimental science
- Your feedback
- Learn more
The simplest type of controlled vocabularies are non-hierarchical lists of terms, such as a list of countries. Annotating data with these lists makes it easier to filter or search for related records in a database. For example, if you use Europe PMC’s advanced literature search, and filter the results by language, you are choosing from items in a list determined by a controlled vocabulary (Figure 6).