Searching for the BRCA2 gene
Let’s search for a gene. In our example, we want to know more information about the BRCA2 gene, such as the genomic location, neighbouring genes and the sequence.
Figure 5. The search box.
You can use the search box on the home page, as shown in Figure 5. Or, click on a species first, and search from, for example, the Human home page.
- Open the Ensembl homepage at www.ensembl.org
- Choose your species of interest (Human) using the pull-down menu to the left of the search box.
- Type in your search term of interest into the search box. In our example we are using the gene name 'BRCA2'.
- Click 'Go' to obtain the search results
- You should see the BRCA2 gene at the top of the list.