Date:Monday 14 October 2019
Venue:Universidad de San Martín de Porres (USMP) - Universidad San Martin de Porres, 15011, LIM, Santa Anita, Peru
Application opens:Thursday 05 September 2019
Application deadline:Monday 30 September 2019
Participation:Open application with selection
Dates additional information:This workshop is two full days, including two refreshment breaks and lunch per day.
This course will provide new trainers with knowledge, skills, guidance and tips for developing and delivering training. Participants will explore a range of methods to enable and encourage learning, examine the requirements for a successful course and acquire appropriate feedback.
The workshop will:
- provide guidance on general training techniques and appropriate use of methods based on learner needs, including some general 'DO's' and 'DO NOTs' for successful training
- provide a framework for successful curriculum design and further development, to enable trainers to build a course appropriate to their learners' needs
This is a two-day interactive workshop which will be delivered in English. Applications are open for researchers based in Peru only.
There are a number of criteria upon which selection of participants for this workshop will be made. Candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- They are at postdoctoral level OR have several years of research experience
- They are working in a Latin American institution and are likely to remain in the institution for the next year or more
- They are actively involved in a research project and actively using bioinformatics tools / methods
- They have a strong interest in training and have been involved in some training prior to joining the course
- They have identified a need / gap where training could be provided, and have thought about potential training they would like to deliver.
After this workshop you should be able to:
- List ways to engage learners and keep them motivated
- Use of a variety of training methods to effectively teach content
- Outline evaluation and feedback methods to assess learning
- Apply reflective practice to training
Day 1: Concepts and ideas in training
Good vs bad training; what makes a good trainer; methods for learning; designing training sessions and courses, evaluation and feedback methods.
Day 2 – Putting the learning into practice
Practical sessions putting what has been covered in day 1 into practice; starts with delivery of a 3 minute training session.