Date:Tuesday 2 - Friday 5 May 2017
Venue:European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) - Media Suite - Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Application opens:Wednesday December 21 2016
Application deadline:Friday April 14 2017
Participation:Open application with selection
Contact:Maria Bacadare Goitia
The purpose of RItrain staff exchanges is for managerial staff from European Research Infrastructures to develop managerial and leadership expertise in areas that are new to them, or that they feel their research infrastructure needs to develop specific expertise in, by making short knowledge-exchange visits to research infrastructures that are noted for their excellence in the same area.
The objective of the staff exchange is to help participants – and by extension their research infrastructures – to overcome bottlenecks in service provision.
Full details of the EMBL-EBI Service Provision staff exchange visit are available here:
RItrain staff exchanges are aimed at recently appointed or upcoming senior managers, heads of national nodes, heads of Finance and Administration, HR and communication, Chief Operating Officers or their equivalent, middle management.
The applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
• Participants who have well defined areas or tasks that they want to work on during the staff exchange.
• Participants needs match the expertise on offer within EMBL-EBI
• Potential impact of the staff exchange on the development of a research infrastructure, which an applicant is affiliated to.
• Clarity of motivation of the applicant to participate in a staff exchange
• Position of an applicant within a research infrastructure (if you are unsure of your eligibility please contact Vera Matser - email@example.com)
A maximum of five participants will be selected from different research infrastructures
We expect participants to benefit from the staff exchange in the following way:
- Gain a different perspective on their situation provided by a panel of experts and peers.
- Formulate a strategy to address the specific challenges of their research infrastructure is facing with the help of a panel of experts.
- Gain insight into the working practice of an established and successful research infrastructure
- Come away from the staff exchange with a plan that participants can further develop and implement.
- Participate in an open forum to discuss challenges in service provision.
- Build a network of professionals facing similar challenges.
RItrain (http://ritrain.eu/), the Research Infrastructure Training Programme, is an EU-funded Horizon 2020 project aimed at improving and professionalizing the training of managerial and leadership staff in research infrastructures (RIs).
Please note this is an indicative programme. The final programme will be tailored in collaboration with the successfull participants
Day 1 - Tuesday 2 May 2017 (PM only)
- Introduction to services provided by EMBL-EBI (Cath Brooksbank, Steven Newhouse)
- Introduction from all participants
- Introducing the experts
- Group discussion, including expectations for the staff exchange
- Niklas Blomberg and Rolf Apweiler - “What do I know now that I wish I’d known when I started?” Short talk & informal discussion.
Day 2 - Wednesday 3 May 2017
- Interactive session on identifying key bottlenecks in service provision
- Strategies to address common problems in service provision
- Crafting your mission and service definitions
- One-to-one session with an expert
Day 3 - Thursday 4 May 2017
- Project work - addressing a specific challenge to work on during the staff exchange
- Group discussion
- One-to-one session with an expert(s)
- Visiting a service group (selected based on overlapping problem set with the participant)
Day 4 - Friday 5 May 2017 (AM only)
- Final presentations from participants including an action plan for going forward
- Feedback session