A workshop was held at EMBL-EBI about how to prepare sample descriptions which meet the FAANG Sample metadata specification and how to submit samples to the EMBL-EBI BioSamples database. We distribute this material freely, please feel free to reuse it in other contexts.
This page contains the slides presented on the day, the coursebook containing worked examples and the example files to demonstrate the process with, these are all linked below. If you have any questions about this material, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- BioSamples at EMBL-EBI - slides
- Preparing sample data for submission - slides
- FAANG Sample Workshop coursebook - pdf
These files were used when preparing the slides and coursebook. They are a small and simple set of example samples to illustrate the interface.
- Example data 1 (demonstrates some errors)
- Example data 2 (demonstrates a warning for inconsistent capitalisation)
- Example data 3 (demonstrates a file that passes)
- Example data 3 - SampleTab file (demonstrates successful conversion to SampleTab)
8:45 - 9:15 Coffee
9:15 - 9:30 Introductions
9:30 - 10:15 Introduction to BioSamples - Tony Burdett
10:15 - 11:00 Introduction to the FAANG Sample standards and validation services - David Richardson
11:00 - 11:30 Coffee
11:30 - 12:30 Preparing sample metadata for registration in BioSamples (hands-on)
12:30 - 1:30 Lunch
1:30 - 2:30 Validating sample metadata using the FAANG validation service (hands-on)
2:30 - 3:30 Submitting your samples to BioSamples (hands-on)
3:30 - 4:00 Coffee
4:00 - 5:00 Discussion and Wrap-up
5:00 Taxi back to Whittlesford Red Lion from EMBL-EBI.