external acoustic meatusGo to external page http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/UBERON_0001352
A tube running from the outer ear to the middle ear. The human ear canal extends from the pinna to the eardrum and is about 26 mm in length and 7 mm in diameter. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_acoustic_meatus ]
Synonyms: auditory canal external auditory tube ear canal external acoustic tube external auditory canal
- UMLS:C0013444 (ncithesaurus:External_Acoustic_Meatus)
tympanic ring, which serves as support for the tympanic membrane, directs invagination of the first pharingeal cleft ectoderm to form the external acoustic meatus (EAM), which provides the outer layer of the membrane[PMID 11237469]
consider revisiting superclass after refinement of CARO/EAO, conduit may not be quite correct.
subdivision of head in FMA.
external auditory meatus
- endoderm-derived structure
- ectoderm-derived structure
- anatomical conduit
- part of some external ear
- develops_from some 1st arch pharyngeal cleft
- surrounded_by some auditory meatus epithelium