database cross reference
- UMLS:C0035561 (ncithesaurus:Rib)
uberon_slim, efo_slim, pheno_slim, vertebrate_core
- An intersegmental rod-shaped bone that forms in the peritoneal membrane and attach to the vertebral parapophyses.
- Endochondral bone that is intersegmental and rod-shaped, forming in the peritoneal membrane and attached to the vertebral parapophyses. Ribs protect and support internal organs.[TAO]
- Endochondral, rodlike element that articulates with the transverse process and parapophysis (double-headed rib), or with the transverse process only (single-headed rib); it extends into the body wall and provides a site for muscle attachment.[AAO]
- They protect and support internal organs and enable lungs to expand by expanding the chest.
has obo namespace
has related synonym
- pleural rib
- dorsal rib
has relational adjective
- In most vertebrates, ribs surround the chest. In some species, especially snakes, ribs may provide support and protection for the entire body
has muscle origin
has muscle insertion