A holocrine gland that secretes sebum into the hair follicles, or in hairless areas into ducts.[MP]. [ MP : 0000647 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_gland ]
- UMLS:C0036505 (ncithesaurus:Sebaceous_Gland)
uberon_slim, pheno_slim, organ_slim, human_reference_atlas
- sebaceous glands are also found in glabrous areas of eyelids, nose, penis, labia minora and nipples, and do not always secrete into hair follices. This causes some confusion in classification. In addition some structures, such as preputial glands are sometimes called 'modified' sebaceous glands, implying a non-subclass relationship. we follow MP and MA in keeping this class generic and creating a distinct subclass for sebaceuous glands of the skin. The FMA class may be better placed under this subclass.
- A holocrine gland that secretes sebum into the hair follicles, or in hairless areas into ducts.[MP].
- Any of the numerous holocrine glands in the dermis that empty into a hair follicle and produce and secrete sebum. [TFD][VHOG]
- glandula sebacea
- sebaceous follicle
- glandula sebaceae
- Sebaceous glands are also limited to mammals.[well established][VHOG]