The large, irregular bone located at the base and side of the skull; consists of three parts at birth: squamous, tympanic, and petrous. [ MP:0005272 https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=bn%3A0-683-40008-8 ]
- UMLS:C0039484 (ncithesaurus:Temporal_Bone)
The large, irregular bone located at the base and side of the skull; consists of three parts at birth: squamous, tympanic, and petrous.
Note the Temporal bone is not explicitly categorized to a part of the cranium in FMA
The temporal bone consists of four parts: * Squama temporalis * Mastoid portion * Petrous portion (Petrosal ridge) * Tympanic part[WP].
fusion of squamosal + angular (tympanic annulus) [derm.] + petrosal (prootic + opisthotic)
In many mammals, as in humans, the petrosal, ectotympanic and squamosal bones synostose to form the temporal bone + styloid process
- pneumatized bone
- structure with developmental contribution from neural crest
- has part some (part of some chondrocranium)
- has part some (part of some dermatocranium)
- has part some (part of some splanchnocranium)