sternocleidomastoidGo to external page http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/UBERON_0001128
A paired muscle in the superficial layers of the anterior portion of the neck. It acts to flex and rotate the head. It also acts as an accessory muscle of inspiration, along with the scalene muscles of the neck. [WP,unvetted]. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternocleidomastoid_muscle ]
- UMLS:C0224153 (ncithesaurus:Sternocleidomastoid_Muscle)
A paired muscle in the superficial layers of the anterior portion of the neck. It acts to flex and rotate the head. It also acts as an accessory muscle of inspiration, along with the scalene muscles of the neck. [WP,unvetted].
TODO: sternocleidomastoid = sternomastoid + Cleidomastoideus. Origin: from manubrium sterni (sterno) and clavicle (cleido) and it's insertion at the mastoid process of the temporal bone.
The sternomastoid and the three parts of the trapezius are branchiomeric muscles that have secondarily acquired an attachment to the pectoral girdle. They evolved from the fish cucullaris.[well established][VHOG]
- muscle of neck
- cleidocephalicus muscle
- axial muscle
- mesoderm-derived structure
- has muscle origin some manubrium of sternum
- innervated_by some cervical nerve plexus
- has muscle origin some clavicle bone
- develops from some sterno-mastoid pre-muscle mass
- has muscle insertion some mastoid process of temporal bone