Anatomical structure that performs a specific function or group of functions [WP]. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_(anatomy) ]
- UMLS:C0178784 (ncithesaurus:Organ)
Organs are commonly observed as visibly distinct structures, but may also exist as loosely associated clusters of cells that work together to perform a specific function or functions.
CARO v1 does not include a generic 'organ' class, only simple and compound organ. CARO v2 may include organ, see https://github.com/obophenotype/caro/issues/4
- multicellular anatomical structure
- has boundary some anatomical surface
- part of some anatomical system
- existence starts during or after some organogenesis stage