SANT/Myb domain (IPR001005)
Short name: SANT/Myb
Overlapping homologous superfamilies
- Homeobox-like domain superfamily (IPR009057)
- SANT/Myb domain (IPR001005)
- DAMP1, SANT/Myb-like domain (IPR032563)
- Myb domain (IPR017930)
- Myb-like domain (IPR017877)
- Polycomb repressive complex 2 subunit EZH1/EZH2, tri-helical domain (IPR041343)
- SANT domain (IPR017884)
- Transcription factor TFIIIB component B'', Myb domain (IPR039467)
The retroviral oncogene v-myb, and its cellular counterpart c-myb, encode nuclear DNA-binding proteins. In myb, one of the most conserved regions consisting of three tandem repeats has been shown to be involved in DNA-binding [PMID: 2824190].
The SANT domain is present in nuclear receptor co-repressors and in the subunits of many chromatin-remodelling complexes [PMID: 8882580]. It has a strong structural similarity to the DNA-binding domain of Myb-related proteins [PMID: 14536084]. Both consist of tandem repeats of three alpha-helices that are arranged in a helix-turn-helix motif, each alpha helix containing a bulky aromatic residue. Despite the overall similarity there is differences that indicate that the SANT domain is functionally divergent from the canonical Myb DNA-binding domain [PMID: 15040448].