Mouse Iron Distribution - Deficient iron diet (No Tracer)
Mouse Iron Distribution Dynamics
Dynamic model of iron distribution in mice. This model includes only normal iron with the parameters that fit the data from Lopes et al. 2010 for mice fed a deficient iron diet.
This model does not include the radioiron tracer species. It is appropriate to study the properties in conditions where no tracers are used (for example for steady state analysis).
- Modeling the dynamics of mouse iron body distribution: hepcidin is necessary but not sufficient.
- Parmar JH, Davis G, Shevchuk H, Mendes P
- BMC systems biology , 5/ 2017 , Volume 11 , Issue 1 , pages: 57 , PubMed ID: 28521769
- Center for Quantitative Medicine and Department of Cell Biology, UConn Health, Farmington, CT, 06030, USA.
- Iron is an essential element of most living organisms but is a dangerous substance when poorly liganded in solution. The hormone hepcidin regulates the export of iron from tissues to the plasma contributing to iron homeostasis and also restricting its availability to infectious agents. Disruption of iron regulation in mammals leads to disorders such as anemia and hemochromatosis, and contributes to the etiology of several other diseases such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. Here we test the hypothesis that hepcidin alone is able to regulate iron distribution in different dietary regimes in the mouse using a computational model of iron distribution calibrated with radioiron tracer data.A model was developed and calibrated to the data from adequate iron diet, which was able to simulate the iron distribution under a low iron diet. However simulation of high iron diet shows considerable deviations from the experimental data. Namely the model predicts more iron in red blood cells and less iron in the liver than what was observed in experiments.These results suggest that hepcidin alone is not sufficient to regulate iron homeostasis in high iron conditions and that other factors are important. The model was able to simulate anemia when hepcidin was increased but was unable to simulate hemochromatosis when hepcidin was suppressed, suggesting that in high iron conditions additional regulatory interactions are important.
Submitter of this revision: Krishna Kumar Tiwari
Modellers: Pedro Mendes, Krishna Kumar Tiwari
Connected external resources
OmicsDI Impact Metrics
|Parmar2017_Deficient_NoTracer.xml||SBML L2V4 representation of Parmar2017 - Mouse Iron Distribution - Deficient iron diet (No Tracer)||108.40 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004-biopax2.owl||Auto-generated BioPAX (Level 2)||31.11 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004-biopax3.owl||Auto-generated BioPAX (Level 3)||52.00 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.m||Auto-generated Octave file||13.62 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.png||Auto-generated Reaction graph (PNG)||150.31 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.sci||Auto-generated Scilab file||5.99 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.svg||Auto-generated Reaction graph (SVG)||45.84 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.vcml||Auto-generated VCML file||897.00 Bytes||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004.xpp||Auto-generated XPP file||9.94 KB||Preview | Download|
|MODEL1605030004_urn.xml||Auto-generated SBML file with URNs||98.05 KB||Preview | Download|
|Parmar2017_Deficient_NoTracer.cps||COPASI 4.24 (build196) file depicting Deficient Table 3 results||163.66 KB||Preview | Download|
|Parmar2017_Deficient_NoTracer.sedml||SEDML file||13.79 KB||Preview | Download|
- Model originally submitted by : Pedro Mendes
- Submitted: May 3, 2016 8:49:32 PM
- Last Modified: Mar 4, 2019 4:45:48 PM
- Submitted on: Mar 4, 2019 4:45:48 PM
- Submitted by: Krishna Kumar Tiwari
- With comment: Automatically added model identifier BIOMD0000000737
- Submitted on: May 19, 2017 4:27:59 PM
- Submitted by: Pedro Mendes
- With comment: Current version of Parmar2017 - Mouse Iron Distribution - Deficient iron diet
- Submitted on: May 3, 2016 8:49:32 PM
- Submitted by: Pedro Mendes
- With comment: Original import of Mouse Iron Distribution - Deficient iron diet
(*) You might be seeing discontinuous revisions as only public revisions are displayed here. Any private revisions of this model will only be shown to the submitter and their collaborators.
: Variable used inside SBML models
Serotransferrin ; iron(3+)
|FeBM => FeRBC||kInRBC*FeBM*BoneMarrow||kInRBC = 1.08447580176706|
|Fe2Tf => FeBM + Tf||kInBM*Fe2Tf*Plasma||kInBM = 15.7690636138556|
|Fe2Tf => FeDuo + Tf||kInDuo*Fe2Tf*Plasma||kInDuo = 0.0689984226081531|
|Fe2Tf => FeLiver + Tf||kInLiver*Fe2Tf*Plasma||kInLiver = 2.97790545667672|
|Fe1Tf => FeLiver + Tf||kInLiver*Fe1Tf*Plasma||kInLiver = 2.97790545667672|
|FeSpleen => NTBI; Hepcidin||VSpleenNTBI*Spleen*FeSpleen/((Km+FeSpleen)*(1+Hepcidin/Ki))||VSpleenNTBI = 1.342204923; Km = 0.0159421218669513; Ki = 1.0E-9|
(added: 04 Mar 2019, 16:19:04, updated: 04 Mar 2019, 16:19:04)