The mission of UniProt is to provide the scientific community with a comprehensive, high quality and freely accessible resource of protein sequence and functional information. UniProt is comprised of four components, each optimised for different uses:
1) The UniProt Knowledgebase (UniProtKB) is the central access point for extensive curated protein information, including function, classification, and cross-reference.
UniProtKB comprises two sections:
- UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot which is manually annotated and is reviewed and
- UniProtKB/TrEMBL which is automatically annotated and is not reviewed.
2) The UniProt Reference Clusters (UniRef) databases provide clustered sets of sequences from the UniProtKB and selected UniProt Archive records to obtain complete coverage of sequence space at several resolutions while hiding redundant sequences.
3) The UniProt Archive (UniParc) is a comprehensive repository, used to keep track of sequences and their identifiers.