What is Europe PubMed Central?
Europe PubMed Central (Europe PMC) is a free database of biomedical and health research literature. The resource provides access to over 28 million abstracts and more than 2.6 million full text articles (see Figure 1 below). Additionally, the details of more than 44 000 biomedical research grants are available.
Europe PMC is supported by 20 funders of biomedical research across Europe.
What can I do with Europe PMC?
Here is a selection of the things you can do with Europe PMC:
- Get fast, comprehensive access to millions of abstracts and articles through a single search box.
- Sort your search results by publication date, relevance, or the number of times an article has been cited.
- Click through links to public databases such as UniProt, the Protein Data Bank in Europe (PDBe), and the European Nucleotide Archive (ENA).
- Highlight and browse keywords such as gene names, organisms and diseases.
- Search around 44 000 biomedical research grants.
- Test drive new tools based on Europe PMC content in Europe PMC labs.
- Link articles to your ORCID.
- ... and much more.
Figure 1 Europe PMC content. Europe PMC provides access to all the abstracts in PubMed, and some other large sets of abstracts not available through PubMed (e.g. Agricola and Chinese Biological Abstracts), in addition to other literature content of relevance to biomedical research such as PhD theses and patents. The open-access literature represents a subset of the corpus of full-text information that can be downloaded and used from the FTP site, for example, for text-mining research.