Ensembl: Filmed browser workshop
Ensembl runs on the order of 100 browser workshops a year worldwide, and for the first time we make one available online. Here you will find a collection of video lectures from the 'Ensembl Browser workshop' that took place at EMBL-EBI on 31st January 2013, using Ensembl version 70. The exercises associated with the workshop are included to carry out at your leisure.
This workshop provides an introduction to Ensembl, what kind of data Ensembl has, and how to browse and export the data.
We'll also be holding live web-chats to discuss the exercises, or any other Ensembl issues. Have a look at the webchat page to find out when we’ll next be online to take your questions … live!
A basic understanding of genomics and molecular biology. Internet browsing skills.
- Understand what Ensembl is and where the data come from
- Know how to access and navigate the Ensembl homepage
- Be able to search the Ensembl browser with a gene, location (a region of a genome), or polymorphism of interest
- Know how to explore a region on a genome, a gene and a transcript
- Understand where to view gene trees, sequence variation, and possible regions involved in gene regulation in Ensembl
- Be able to view a sequence for a gene, protein, or a genome of interest
- Understand where the genes come from
- Understand the different ways the results are presented in Ensembl (including the gene, location, transcript and variation tabs)
- Be able to export Ensembl data quickly and easily with the browser and BioMart