Searching Ensembl: An example using a gene name
Let’s search for a gene. In our example, we want to know more information about the BRCA2 gene, such as the genomic location, neighbouring genes and the sequence.
You can use the search box on the home page, as shown above. Or, click on a species first, and search from, for example, the Human home page.
- Open the Ensembl homepage at www.ensembl.org
- Choose your species of interest (Human) using the pull-down menu to the left of the search box.
- Type in your search term of interest into the search box. In our example we are using the gene name 'BRCA2'. You could also use a UniProtKB accession number, for example 'P51587'.
- Click 'Go' to obtain the search results
- You should see the BRCA2 gene at the top of the list.
You will get different results when searching with BRCA2 compared to P51587.