How to search Ensembl
Figure 4. The Ensembl search box
Search www.ensembl.org using:
- a gene name (for example, BRCA2);
- an identifier from an external database, such as UniProt accession number or a PDBe ID;
- a disease name (for example, coronary heart disease);
- a variation (for example, rs1223);
- a location - a genomic region (for example, rat X:100000..200000);
- a Gene Ontology (GO) term
Most search results will take you to the appropriate Ensembl view through a results page. If you search using a location you will be directed straight to the location tab (this tab provides a view of a region of a genome).
The different tabs in Ensembl will be explained in the later section 'Navigating Ensembl'. For now we will concentrate on how to search Ensembl.