Understanding 'omics data (joint dixa - Genedata workshop) - Basel, Switzerland
Joint diXa-Genedata workshop
From raw data to biological understanding
- The course provides an overview of the most important and common methods for omics data analysis
- The concepts of these methods are explained and illustrated using example data
- Biologists who perform omics data analysis projects will learn background of the methods available for data mining and statistical analysis
- A main goal of the course is to become able to critically judge the available methods and choose those best suited for a given project.
Benefits for the participants
- Plan more efficient experiments
- Correctly interpret results
- Communicate results in publications more effectively
The course focus is on methodologies, not on particular software tools. After the course participants should be able to apply the methods in their respective environment. However, during the course, hands-on sessions will be performed using the Genedata Expressionist® software, which enables participants to quickly apply the discussed methods and visualize results. No previous knowledge on Expressionist® is required; access to the software is free of charge during the course.
|Day 1 - 19 November 2013|
|10:00||Welcome and registration|
|11:00||Introduction into the diXa project|
|13:30||Statistical properties of different ‘omics data|
|14:30||Tea & coffee break|
|17:00||Take-home lessons, questions & answers|
|17:30||Close of day|
|Day 2 - 20 November 2013|
|08:45||Data overview and mining methods|
|10:45||Tea & coffee break|
|11:15||Basics of statistics and experimental design|
|15:15||Tea & coffee break|
|17:45||Take-home lessons, questions & answers|
|18:15||Close of day|
|Day 3 - 21 November 2013|
|09:00||Prediction and Classification|
|10:30||Tea & coffee break|
|12:30||Take-home lessons, questions & answers|
|13:00||Feedback and end of course|
For a more detailed programme please see the diXa course website
The registration fee for this course is £130, which will need to be paid after the registration deadline.
Please note that the course includes:
- All course refreshments and lunches
- Course materials
- Use of the Genedata training room throughout the duration of the course.
There is an optional 3 course workshop dinner on the 19th November 2013 at the Acqua, (http://www.acquabasilea.ch/ ) charged at £53.
Members of the EBI Industry Programme will have their registration fee covered by the Industry programme.