Overview for MACiE Entry M0291
EC Number: 18.104.22.168 (A member of the Transferases, Acyltransferases, Transferring groups other than aminoacyl groups)
Enzyme Name: malonyl-CoA-acyl carrier protein transacylase
Biological Species: Escherichia coli (Bacteria)
Catalytic Chain UniprotKB Accession Codes:
- P0AAI9 - Malonyl CoA-acyl carrier protein transacylase
Representative PDB Code: 1mla - THE ESCHERICHIA COLI MALONYL-COA:ACYL CARRIER PROTEINTRANSACYLASE AT 1.5-ANGSTROMS RESOLUTION. CRYSTALSTRUCTURE OF A FATTY ACID SYNTHASE COMPONENT (Resolution = 1.50 Å).
Catalytic CATH Codes:
- 3.40.366.10 - Malonyl-Coenzyme A Acyl Carrier Protein, domain 2
"Other" CATH Codes:
Display structure information
Overall Comment: Malonyl-CoA-acyl carrier protein transacylase, along with Acyl-carrier-protein S-acetyltransferase (EC 22.214.171.124), is essential for the initiation of fatty-acid biosynthesis in bacteria. This enzyme also provides the malonyl groups for polyketide biosynthesis .
View similar reactions
Stepwise Description of the Reaction
|Step 1||Ser92 is activated towards nucleophilic attack at the thio-carbonyl of malonyl-CoA by the general base His201.|
|Step 2||The tetrahedral enzyme-substrate intermediate collapses, eliminating the coenzyme A component.|
|Step 3||The terminal thiolate of the previously eliminated CoA acts as a general base towards His201.|
|Step 4||The enzyme-malonyl carbonyl linkage acts as an electrophile towards the terminal thiol of the acyl carrier protein which is deprotonated by the general acid His201.|
|Step 5||The tetrahedral intermediate collapses eliminating the malonyl acyl-carrier protein adduct and free serine side chain, which is reprotonated by the general acid His201A.|
View similar reactions (composite manual annotation)
Catalytic Residues Involved
||Location of Function
||Main Chain Amide
||Main Chain Carbonyl
- L. Serre et al. (1995), J. Biol. Chem., 270, 12961-12964. The Escherichia coli malonyl-CoA:acyl carrier protein transacylase at 1.5-A resolution. Crystal structure of a fatty acid synthase component.
- V. C. Joshi (1972), Biochem. J., 128, 43-44. Mechanism of malonyl-coenzyme A-acyl-carrier protein transacylase.
- L. Serre et al. (1994), J. Mol. Biol., 242, 99-102. Crystallization of the malonyl coenzyme A-acyl carrier protein transacylase from Escherichia coli.
Homologue information for M0291 (1mla)
MACiE Homologues (within the PDB)
MACiE Homologues (within UniprotKB/SwissProt)
Links to this entry in other databases