Overview for MACiE Entry M0290
EC Number: 220.127.116.11 (A member of the Transferases, Transferring phosphorus-containing groups, Phosphotransferases with a phosphate group as acceptor)
Enzyme Name: adenylate kinase
Biological Species: Bacillus stearothermophilus (Bacteria)
Catalytic Chain UniprotKB Accession Codes:
Representative PDB Code: 1zio - PHOSPHOTRANSFERASE (Resolution = 1.96 Å).
Catalytic CATH Codes:
- 18.104.22.1680 - P-loop containing nucleotide triphosphate hydrolases
Display structure information
Overall Comment: Adenylate kinase catalyses the reversible, Mg2+ dependent transfer of the terminal phosphate group of ATP to AMP, releasing two molecules of ADP.
View similar reactions
Stepwise Description of the Reaction
|Step 1||The terminal phosphate oxyanion of AMP attacks the gamma phosphate of ATP in an associative displacement reaction.|
View similar reactions (composite manual annotation)
Catalytic Residues Involved
||Location of Function
Metal Cofactors for M0290
- T. Dahnke et al. (1992), Biochemistry, 31, 6318-6328. Mechanism of adenylate kinase. Structural and functional roles of the conserved arginine-97 and arginine-132.
- M. B. Berry et al. (1998), Proteins, 32, 276-288. Crystal structures of Bacillus stearothermophilus adenylate kinase with bound Ap5A, Mg2+ Ap5A, and Mn2+ Ap5A reveal an intermediate lid position and six coordinate octahedral geometry for bound Mg2+ and Mn2$DTYPE ROOT:REFERENCES(2):MEDLINE_ID.
- M. Bellinzoni et al. (2006), Protein Sci., 15, 1489-1493. The crystal structure of Mycobacterium tuberculosis adenylate kinase in complex with two molecules of ADP and Mg2+ supports an associative mechanism for phosphoryl transfer.
- H. Krishnamurthy et al. (2005), Proteins, 58, 88-100. Associative mechanism for phosphoryl transfer: a molecular dynamics simulation of Escherichia coli adenylate kinase complexed with its substrates.
Homologue information for M0290 (1zio)
MACiE Homologues (within the PDB)
MACiE Homologues (within UniprotKB/SwissProt)
Entries with at least one Catalytic CATH code in common (different mechanisms):
|M0212 ||nitrogenase |
|M0154 ||estrone sulfotransferase |
|M0178 ||H+-transporting two-sector ATPase |
|M0074 ||dethiobiotin synthase |
View a comparison of the other reactions in MACiE with the CATH domain 22.214.171.1240
Links to this entry in other databases