Overview for MACiE Entry M0224
EC Number: 18.104.22.168 (A member of the Transferases, Acyltransferases, Transferring groups other than aminoacyl groups)
Enzyme Name: histone acetyltransferase
Biological Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae (Baker's Yeast)
Catalytic Chain UniprotKB Accession Codes:
- Q12341 - Histone acetyltransferase type B catalytic subunit
Representative PDB Code: 1bob - HISTONE ACETYLTRANSFERASE HAT1 FROM SACCHAROMYCESCEREVISIAE IN COMPLEX WITH ACETYL COENZYME A (Resolution = 2.30 Å).
Catalytic CATH Codes:
"Other" CATH Codes:
Display structure information
Overall Comment: After the acetylation of Lys12 of histone H4 the substrate reorientates in the active site and Lys5 of the histone is acetylated using the same residues. There is some structural evidence to suggest that the main chain amide of Phe220 stabilises the oxyanion intermediate. However, the evidence is not sufficient to determine its exact role. The enzyme binds a calcium ion, but this ion is not thought to be catalytic.
View similar reactions
Stepwise Description of the Reaction
|Step 1||Glu255 deprotonates the Lys12 of the histone substrate, activating it.|
|Step 2||The activated lysine of the histone substrate initiates a nucleophilic addition on acetylCoA.|
|Step 3||The tetrahedral intermediate collapses to form the acetylated histone and activated CoA.|
|Step 4||CoA deprotonates Glu255.|
View similar reactions (composite manual annotation)
Catalytic Residues Involved
||Location of Function
- A. Poveda et al. (2008), FEBS Journal, 275, 2122-2136. Site specificity of yeast histone acetyltransferase B complex in vivo.
- M. R. Parthun (2007), Oncogene, 26, 5319-5328. Hat1: the emerging cellular roles of a type B histone acetyltransferase.
- R. C. Trievel et al. (1999), Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA, 96, 8931-8936. Crystal structure and mechanism of histone acetylation of the yeast GCN5 transcriptional coactivator .
- R. N. Dutnall et al. (1998), Cell, 94, 427-438. Structure of the histone acetyltransferase Hat1: a paradigm for the GCN5-related N-acetyltransferase superfamily.
Homologue information for M0224 (1bob)
MACiE Homologues (within the PDB)
MACiE Homologues (within UniprotKB/SwissProt)
Entries with the same EC number (different mechanisms):
Compare of the other reactions in MACiE with EC number 22.214.171.124
Entries with at least one Catalytic CATH code in common (different mechanisms):
|M0022 ||aralkylamine N-acetyltransferase |
Links to this entry in other databases