Overview for MACiE Entry M0167
EC Number: 18.104.22.168 (A member of the Hydrolases, Acting on peptide bonds (peptidases), Aminopeptidases)
Enzyme Name: bacterial leucyl aminopeptidase
Biological Species: Aeromonas proteolytica (Bacteria)
Catalytic Chain UniprotKB Accession Codes:
- Q01693 - Bacterial leucyl aminopeptidase
Representative PDB Code: 1lok - THE 1.20 ANGSTROM RESOLUTION CRYSTAL STRUCTURE OF THEAMINOPEPTIDASE FROM AEROMONAS PROTEOLYTICA COMPLEXED WITHTRIS: A TALE OF BUFFER INHIBITION (Resolution = 1.20 Å).
Display structure information
Overall Comment: This enzyme releases an N-terminal amino acid preferentially leucine but not glutamic or aspartic acids.
View similar reactions
Stepwise Description of the Reaction
|Step 1||Glu151 deprotonates the zinc activated water molecule.|
|Step 2||The activated hydroxide attacks the peptide carbonyl in a nucleophilic addition.|
|Step 3||The oxyanion initiates an elimination that cleaves the peptide bond and releases the protein's new N-terminal amino acid, which protonates from Glu151, and the amino acid product.|
View similar reactions (composite manual annotation)
Catalytic Residues Involved
||Location of Function
Metal Cofactors for M0167
- W. T. Desmarais et al. (2002), Structure, 10, 1063-1072. The 1.20 A resolution crystal structure of the aminopeptidase from Aeromonas proteolytica complexed with tris: a tale of buffer inhibition.
- G. Chen et al. (1997), Biochemistry, 36, 4278-4286. Mechanistic studies on the aminopeptidase from Aeromonas proteolytica: a two-metal ion mechanism for peptide hydrolysis.
- W. Desmarais et al. (2006), J. Biol. Inorg. Chem., 11, 398-408. The high-resolution structures of the neutral and the low pH crystals of aminopeptidase from Aeromonas proteolytica.
- C. Stamper et al. (2001), Biochemistry, 40, 7035-7046. Inhibition of the aminopeptidase from Aeromonas proteolytica by L-leucinephosphonic acid. Spectroscopic and crystallographic characterization of the transition state of peptide hydrolysis.
Homologue information for M0167 (1lok)
MACiE Homologues (within the PDB)
MACiE Homologues (within UniprotKB/SwissProt)
Entries with at least one Catalytic CATH code in common (different mechanisms):
|M0171 ||carboxypeptidase A |
Links to this entry in other databases