EBI-Sanger postdoctoral fellowships
Because EMBL-EBI and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute share the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, close collaborations are common and strongly encouraged by both institutes. Our researchers have easy access to scientific expertise, well-equipped facilities and an active seminar programme. The EBI–Sanger Postdoctoral (ESPOD) Programme builds on the collaborative relationship between the two institutes, offering projects that combine experimental (wet-lab) and computational (dry-lab) approaches.
You may select your project from the following pre-defined areas:
- Project 1: Detection of somatic mutations in normal cells (Marioni and Stratton)
- Project 2: Creating phenotype variation through epignetics: DNA methylation variability in populations and between individual cells (Stegle and Reik)
- Project 3: Rational selection of therapeutic gut bacteria (Finn and Lawley)
- Project 4: Functional genomics of cancer evolution (Flicek and Campbell)
- Project 5: Discovery and validation of splicing at the proteome level in cancer (Brazma, Choudhary and McDermott)
- Project 6: Structural modelling and engineering of cytokine-receptor interactions (Teichmann and Wright)
- Project 7: Identification of novel anti-obesity therapies stimulating brown/beige adipocytes (Saez-Rodriguez, Vidal-Puig and Skarnes)
Fellowships will be awarded after a competitive selection process, with applications being linked to specific projects defined in advance of the application deadline.
If you have questions about ESPOD projects, please contact the group leader in question.
Application and selection
ESPOD application deadline
The deadline for applications has now passed. The next call will open in early 2015.
Please submit your application online via www.embl.org/jobs. Your application should include the following:
- A cover letter specifying the project you are applying for (see the list on this page);
- Your curriculum vitae;
- Two recent letters of reference.
If you choose to propose a project that is not on the list, submit a full description (maximum: 1000 words) to the PI you would like to work with. This description must be pre-approved by the group and team leaders involved before you submit the application.
ONLY self-proposed project applications should be submitted via e-mail: email@example.com. Other applications should be submitted through the EMBL jobs page (see above).
Interviews and selection process
Interviews will take place 25 September 2014.
Interviews will include one-to-one discussion with the group leaders associated with the project of interest as well as a panel interview.
Fellowships typically begin in mid-October. Although the start date may be delayed with the agreement of the group leaders, the ESPOD must be undertaken within 12 months of the fellowship being awarded.
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: EMBL stipend rates. Details concerning stipend will be provided to those candidates who are invited to interview.