Applying to our programme
Admission to the EMBL International PhD Programme at EMBL-EBI is very competitive. We evaluate all applications solely on the basis of qualification and scientific potential.
There are two important deadlines to keep in mind: the first is registration in our online application system, and the second is completing your application.
Spring recruitment 2016 is now open.
You can sign up for job alerts - and find other opportunities throughout EMBL - at www.embl.de/aboutus/jobs/
The application process
- Select an area of interest.
- Register for the online application system. Applicants MUST register – application is via online submission only.
- Apply for a PhD position starting in October of the year you are applying. Make sure you have your references in by the deadline!
- Interviews at EMBL Heidelberg, Germany and Hinxton (Cambridge), UK take place in February (Spring round) or August/September (Fall round).
- The first assessment is carried out by a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's national education system.
- The application is then reviewed by the faculty members of the EMBL Scientific Programme at EMBL-EBI.
- The EMBL Graduate Committee short-lists the candidates who will be invited to interview.
- Short-listed applicants are invited to attend an Initial Admission Assessment (IAA) interview, conducted by a panel of EMBL faculty members at EMBL-EBI. This 20-minute pass/fail interview is the prerequisite for eligibility. During the interview, you may be questioned on any aspect of molecular biology and your previous training.
- The days following the IAA are filled with panel and one-to-one interviews with Group Leaders as well as group visits.
- Successful candidates are then awarded entry into the EMBL International PhD Programme by the Graduate Committee.