Applying to our programme
Admission to the EMBL International PhD Programme at EMBL-EBI is very competitive. We evaluate all applications solely on the basis of qualification and scientific potential.
There are two important deadlines to keep in mind: the first is registration in our online application system, and the second is completing your application.
Application for Summer Recruitment 2016 is now closed. Our next call will open in August 2016.
You can sign up for job alerts - and find other opportunities throughout EMBL - at www.embl.de/aboutus/jobs/
The application process
- Select an area of interest.
- Register for the online application system. Applicants MUST register – application is via online submission only.
- Apply for a PhD position starting in October of the year you are applying. Make sure you have your references in by the deadline!
- Interviews at EMBL Heidelberg, Germany and Hinxton (Cambridge), UK take place in February (Spring round) or August/September (Fall round).
- The first assessment is carried out by a faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's national education system.
- The application is then reviewed by the faculty members of the EMBL Scientific Programme at EMBL-EBI.
- The EMBL Graduate Committee short-lists the candidates who will be invited to interview.
- Short-listed applicants are invited to attend an Initial Admission Assessment (IAA) interview, conducted by a panel of EMBL faculty members at EMBL-EBI. This 20-minute pass/fail interview is the prerequisite for eligibility. During the interview, you may be questioned on any aspect of molecular biology and your previous training.
- The days following the IAA are filled with panel and one-to-one interviews with Group Leaders as well as group visits.
- Successful candidates are then awarded entry into the EMBL International PhD Programme by the Graduate Committee.