EC 22.214.171.124: Nitric-oxide synthase (NADPH)
2 L-arginine + 3 NADPH + 4 O(2) = 2 L-citrulline + 2 nitric oxide + 3 NADP(+) + 4 H(2)O.
- This eukaryotic enzyme, which is found in plants and animals, consists of oxygenase and reductase domains that are linked via a regulatory calmodulin-binding domain.
- Upon calcium-induced calmodulin binding, the reductase and oxygenase domains form a complex, allowing electrons to flow from NADPH via FAD and FMN to the active center.
- May produce superoxide under certain conditions.
- Cf. EC 126.96.36.199.
L-arginine,NADPH:oxygen oxidoreductase (nitric-oxide-forming)
- NO synthase
- Endothelium-derived relaxation factor-forming enzyme
- Endothelium-derived relaxing factor synthase
- Nitric oxide synthetase
- Nitric-oxide synthetase