EC 220.127.116.11: Beta-ketoacyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] synthase I
Acyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] + malonyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] = 3-oxoacyl- [acyl-carrier-protein] + CO(2) + [acyl-carrier-protein].
- Responsible for the chain-elongation step of dissociated (type II) fatty-acid biosynthesis, i.e. the addition of two C atoms to the fatty-acid chain.
- Escherichia coli mutants that lack this enzyme are deficient in unsaturated fatty acids.
- Can use fatty acyl thioesters of ACP (C(2) to C(16)) as substrates, as well as fatty acyl thioesters of Co-A (C(4) to C(16)).
- The substrate specificity is very similar to that of EC 18.104.22.168 with the exception that the latter enzyme is far more active with palmitoleoyl-ACP (C(16)-Delta(9)) as substrate, allowing the organism to regulate its fatty-acid composition with changes in temperature.
Acyl-[acyl-carrier protein]:malonyl-[acyl-carrier protein] C-acyltransferase (decarboxylating)
- 3-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthase
- Beta-ketoacyl acyl carrier protein synthase
- Beta-ketoacyl synthetase
- Beta-ketoacyl-ACP synthetase
- Beta-ketoacyl-[acyl carrier protein] synthase
- Beta-ketoacyl-acyl carrier protein synthetase
- Acyl-malonyl(acyl-carrier-protein)-condensing enzyme
- Condensing enzyme
- Fatty acid condensing enzyme
- Beta-ketoacyl-ACP synthase I
- Acyl-malonyl acyl carrier protein-condensing enzyme
- 3-oxoacyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] synthase
- 3-oxoacyl:ACP synthase I
- KAS I
- Acyl-[acyl-carrier-protein]:malonyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] C-acyltransferase (decarboxylating)
Protein families (Pfam)
Domain description: Thiolase-like
Domain description: Beta-ketoacyl synthase, C-terminal
Domain description: Polyketide synthase, beta-ketoacyl synthase domain
Domain description: Beta-ketoacyl synthase, active site
Domain description: Beta-ketoacyl synthase, N-terminal
Class: Alpha Beta
Architecture: 3-Layer(aba) Sandwich
Topology: Peroxisomal Thiolase; Chain A, domain 1
Homology: Peroxisomal Thiolase; Chain A, domain 1Occurring in:
Class: Alpha and beta proteins (a/b)
Superfamily: Thiolase-likeOccurring in: