Pathways & interactions
High mobility group box domain superfamily (IPR036910)
Short name: HMG_box_dom_sf
- YABBY protein (IPR006780)
- High mobility group box domain (IPR009071)
- Transcription factor SRY (IPR017253)
- Transcription factor SOX-11/4 (IPR017386)
- Protamine-like (IPR024460)
- Transcription factor TCF/LEF (IPR024940)
- Transcription factor SOX-6 (IPR027153)
- Lymphoid enhancer-binding factor 1 (IPR028769)
- Transcription factor 7 (IPR028785)
- Transcription factor SOX-13 (IPR029547)
- Transcription factor SOX-11 (IPR029551)
- SWI/SNF complex subunit BAF57 (IPR030089)
- High mobility group protein HMGB2 (IPR031075)
- High mobility group protein HMGB3 (IPR031077)
- Transcription factor SOX-8 (IPR031265)
- Transcription factor SOX-12 (IPR031267)
- Protein SOX-15 (IPR031269)
- Transcription factor SOX-2 (IPR032643)
High mobility group (HMG) box domains are involved in binding DNA, and may be involved in protein-protein interactions as well. The structure of the HMG-box domain consists of three helices in an irregular array. HMG-box domains are found in one or more copies in HMG-box proteins, which form a large, diverse family involved in the regulation of DNA-dependent processes such as transcription, replication, and strand repair, all of which require the bending and unwinding of chromatin. Many of these proteins are regulators of gene expression. HMG-box proteins are found in a variety of eukaryotic organisms, and can be broadly divided into two groups, based on sequence-dependent and sequence-independent DNA recognition; the former usually contain one HMG-box motif, while the latter can contain multiple HMG-box motifs.
HMG-box domains can be found in single or multiple copies in the following protein classes: HMG1 and HMG2 non-histone components of chromatin; SRY (sex determining region Y protein) involved in differential gonadogenesis; the SOX family of transcription factors [PMID: 12920151]; sequence-specific LEF1 (lymphoid enhancer binding factor 1) and TCF-1 (T-cell factor 1) involved in regulation of organogenesis and thymocyte differentiation [PMID: 10890911]; structure-specific recognition protein SSRP involved in transcription and replication; MTF1 mitochondrial transcription factor; nucleolar transcription factors UBF 1/2 (upstream binding factor) involved in transcription by RNA polymerase I; Abf2 yeast ARS-binding factor [PMID: 11779632]; yeast transcription factors lxr1, Rox1, Nhp6b and Spp41; mating type proteins (MAT) involved in the sexual reproduction of fungi [PMID: 12781674]; and the YABBY plant-specific transcription factors.
Structurally, the HMG box domain is composed of three helices.