Pathways & interactions
Serine proteases, trypsin family, serine active site (IPR033116)
Short name: TRYPSIN_SER
The catalytic activity of the serine proteases from the trypsin family is provided by a charge relay system involving an aspartic acid residue hydrogen- bonded to a histidine, which itself is hydrogen-bonded to a serine. The sequences in the vicinity of the active site serine and histidine residues are well conserved in this family of proteases [PMID: 3136396]. A partial list of proteases known to belong to the trypsin family is shown below.
- Blood coagulation factors VII, IX, X, XI and XII, thrombin, plasminogen, and protein C.
- Cathepsin G.
- Complement components C1r, C1s, C2, and complement factors B, D and I.
- Complement-activating component of RA-reactive factor.
- Cytotoxic cell proteases (granzymes A to H).
- Duodenase I.
- Elastases 1, 2, 3A, 3B (protease E), leukocyte (medullasin).
- Enterokinase (EC 126.96.36.199) (enteropeptidase).
- Hepatocyte growth factor activator.
- Glandular (tissue) kallikreins (including EGF-binding protein types A, B, and C, NGF-gamma chain, gamma-renin, prostate specific antigen (PSA) and tonin).
- Plasma kallikrein.
- Mast cell proteases (MCP) 1 (chymase) to 8.
- Myeloblastin (proteinase 3) (Wegener's autoantigen).
- Plasminogen activators (urokinase-type, and tissue-type).
- Trypsins I, II, III, and IV.
- Snake venom proteases such as ancrod, batroxobin, cerastobin, flavoxobin,and protein C activator.
- Collagenase from common cattle grub and collagenolytic protease from Atlantic sand fiddler crab.
- Blood fluke cercarial protease.
- Drosophila trypsin like proteases: alpha, easter, snake-locus.
- Drosophila protease stubble (gene sb).
- Major mite fecal allergen Der p III.
In addition to proteins from eukaryotic species listed above, are a number of bacterial family members, including:
- Achromobacter lyticus protease I.
- Lysobacter alpha-lytic protease.
- Streptogrisin A and B (Streptomyces proteases A and B).
- Streptomyces griseus glutamyl endopeptidase II.
- Streptomyces fradiae proteases 1 and 2.
This entry represents the serine active site of serine proteases belonging to peptidase family S1.
- PS00135 (TRYPSIN_SER)