Interleukin-36 alpha (IPR027163)
Short name: IL-36_alpha
Interleukin-36 cytokines constitute a novel cluster of cytokines with structural and functional similarities to IL-1 [PMID: 23029241]. Previously designated as interleukin-1 family members 5 - 10 (IL-1F5 to IL-1F10), they have recently been reclassified according to an updated cytokine nomenclature scheme [PMID: 20959797]. Family members include:
- interleukin-36 alpha, beta and gamma (previously IL-1F6, IL-1F8 and IL-1F9, respectively), which are pro-inflammatory and signal through IL-1Rrp2 and IL-1RAcP [PMID: 14734551].
- interleukin-36 receptor antagonist (previously IL-1F5), which binds IL-1Rrp2, acting as an antagonist for interleukins signalling via this route [PMID: 17908936].
- interleukin-37 (IL-1F7), which exerts anti-inflammatory actions by suppressing production of pro-inflammatory cytokines [PMID: 20935647].
- IL-1F10, whose function is unknown.
This entry represents interleukin-36 alpha.
- PTHR10078:SF25 (PTHR10078:SF25)