Pathways & interactions
Glycoside hydrolase superfamily (IPR017853)
Short name: Glycoside_hydrolase_SF
- Glycoside hydrolase superfamily (IPR017853)
- GTA TIM-barrel-like domain (IPR025195)
- Glycoside hydrolase 35, catalytic domain (IPR031330)
- Glycoside hydrolase family 10 domain (IPR001000)
- Glycoside hydrolase family 18, catalytic domain (IPR001223)
- Glycoside hydrolase family 2, catalytic domain (IPR006103)
- Glycoside hydrolase family 20, catalytic domain (IPR015883)
- Glycoside hydrolase, family 3, N-terminal (IPR001764)
- Glycoside hydrolase, family 5 (IPR001547)
- Glycosyl hydrolase family 26 domain (IPR022790)
- Glycosyl hydrolase family 30, TIM-barrel domain (IPR033453)
- Glycosyl hydrolase family 67, catalytic domain (IPR011100)
- Glycosyl hydrolase, family 13, catalytic domain (IPR006047)
- Glycosyl hydrolase-like 10 (IPR003790)
- Putative glycohydrolase domain DUF4038 (IPR025277)
- Putative glycosyl hydrolase domain DUF4015 (IPR025275)
O-Glycosyl hydrolases (EC:3.2.1.) are a widespread group of enzymes that hydrolyse the glycosidic bond between two or more carbohydrates, or between a carbohydrate and a non-carbohydrate moiety. A classification system for glycosyl hydrolases, based on sequence similarity, has led to the definition of 85 different families [PMID: 7624375, PMID: 8535779]. This classification is available on the CAZy (CArbohydrate-Active EnZymes) web site.
This entry represents the catalytic TIM beta/alpha barrel common to many different families of glycosyl hydrolases found in all groups of organisms including viruses and Gene Transfer Agents (GTA) [PMID: 11382219]. In the GTA of Rhodobacter capsulatus (Rhodopseudomonas capsulata) a glycosyl hydrolase domain is associated with ORFg15 (RCAP_rcc01698) [D5AU04, see Fig.1, in PMID: 12399927].
Structures have been determined for several proteins containing this glycosyl hydrolase domain, including family 13 glycosyl hydrolases (such as alpha-amylase) [PMID: 11914097], beta-glycanases [PMID: 14668328], family 1 glycosyl hydrolases (such as beta-glucosidase) [PMID: 10978344], type II chitinases [PMID: 11846790], 1,4-beta-N-acetylmuraminidases [PMID: 11427528], and beta-N-acetylhexosaminidases [PMID: 12171933].
- SSF51445 (SSF51445)