Pathways & interactions
C-type lectin fold (IPR016187)
Short name: CTDL_fold
- Link domain (IPR000538)
- C-type lectin-like (IPR001304)
- Aerolysin/Pertussis toxin domain (IPR005138)
- Sulfatase-modifying factor enzyme (IPR005532)
- Domain of unknown function DUF1554 (IPR011448)
- Intimin, C-terminal (IPR013117)
- C-type lectin-like/link domain superfamily (IPR016186)
- Ergothioneine biosynthesis protein EgtB (IPR017806)
- C-type lectin, conserved site (IPR018378)
- Gliding motility-associated lipoprotein GldJ (IPR019865)
- Gliding motility-associated lipoprotein GldK (IPR019866)
- Gliding motility-associated lipoprotein GldK, short form (IPR019867)
- Gliding motility-associated lipoprotein GldJ-short (IPR019868)
- 5-histidylcysteine sulfoxide synthase (IPR027577)
- EgtB-related enzyme signature domain (IPR030809)
- Hercynine oxygenase, Actinobacteria (IPR032890)
- Eosinophil major basic protein, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033816)
- CEL-1-like C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033988)
- CD209-like, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033989)
- Collectin, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033990)
- Selectin, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033991)
- Natural killer cell receptor-like, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR033992)
- C-type lectin-like domain, bacterial (IPR034007)
- TC14-like, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR034008)
- DGCR2-like, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR034010)
- Attractin-like, C-type lectin-like domain (IPR034011)
- Aerolysin/Pertussis toxin (APT), N-terminal domain superfamily (IPR037015)
Lectins occur in plants, animals, bacteria and viruses. Initially described for their carbohydrate-binding activity [PMID: 14533786], they are now recognised as a more diverse group of proteins, some of which are involved in protein-protein, protein-lipid or protein-nucleic acid interactions [PMID: 12223269]. There are at least twelve structural families of lectins, of which C-type (Ca+-dependent) lectins is one. C-type lectins can be further divided into seven subgroups based on additional non-lectin domains and gene structure: (I) hyalectans, (II) asialoglycoprotein receptors, (III) collectins, (IV) selectins, (V) NK group transmembrane receptors, (VI) macrophage mannose receptors, and (VII) simple (single domain) lectins [PMID: 15476922].
This entry represents a structural domain found in C-type lectins, as well as in other proteins, including:
- The N-terminal domain of aerolysin [PMID: 7510043] and the N-terminal domain of the S2/S3 subunit of pertussis toxin [PMID: 8637000].
- The C-terminal domain of invasin [PMID: 10514372] and intimin [PMID: 10890451].
- Link domain, which includes the Link module of TSG-6 [PMID: 12972412] (a hyaladherin with important roles in inflammation and ovulation) and the hyaluronan binding domain of CD44 (which contains extra N-terminal beta-strand and C-terminal beta-hairpin) [PMID: 14992719].
- Endostatin [PMID: 9724722] and the endostatin domain of collagen alpha 1 (XV) [PMID: 966814], these domains being decorated with many insertions in the common fold.
- The noncollagenous (NC1) domain of collagen IV, which consists of a duplication of the C-type lectin domain, with segment swapping within and between individual domains [PMID: 12011424].
- Sulphatase-modifying factors (C-alpha-formyglycine-generating enzyme), where the fold is decorated with many additional structures [PMID: 16041070, PMID: 15687489].
- The C-terminal domain of the major tropism determinant (Mtd), where the fold is decorated with many additional structures, and has an overall similarity to the sulphatase modifying factor family but lacking the characteristic disulphide [PMID: 16170324].
- SSF56436 (SSF56436)