Pyridoxal phosphate-dependent transferase domain 1 (IPR015422)
Short name: PyrdxlP-dep_Trfase_dom1
- Aspartate/other aminotransferase (IPR000796)
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase (IPR001085)
- 4-aminobutyrate aminotransferase, eukaryotic (IPR004631)
- 4-aminobutyrate aminotransferase, bacterial (IPR004632)
- Acetylornithine/Succinylornithine transaminase family (IPR004636)
- 2,4-diaminobutyrate 4-transaminase (IPR004637)
- Tetrapyrrole biosynthesis, glutamate-1-semialdehyde aminotransferase (IPR004639)
- 8-amino-7-oxononanoate synthase, Archaea/Proteobacteria type (IPR004723)
- Aminotransferase, class I/classII (IPR004839)
- Aminotransferase class-III (IPR005814)
- Adenosylmethionine--8-amino-7-oxononanoate aminotransferase BioA (IPR005815)
- L-threonine-O-3-phosphate decarboxylase (IPR005860)
- Histidinol-phosphate aminotransferase family (IPR005861)
- Tyrosine aminotransferase (IPR005957)
- Tyrosine/nicotianamine aminotransferase (IPR005958)
- Kynureninase (IPR010111)
- Ornithine aminotransferase (IPR010164)
- Cysteine desulfurase IscS (IPR010240)
- Tetrapyrrole biosynthesis, 5-aminolevulinic acid synthase (IPR010961)
- Putative 8-amino-7-oxononanoate synthase, Archaea/Firmicutes type (IPR010962)
- Cysteine desulfurase-related, unknown function (IPR010969)
- Cysteine desulfurase, SufS (IPR010970)
- Beta-eliminating lyase family (IPR011166)
- 2-amino-3-ketobutyrate coenzyme A ligase (IPR011282)
- Cysteine desulfurase-related (IPR011340)
- 2-aminoethylphosphonate--pyruvate transaminase (IPR012703)
- Ectoine biosynthetic protein (IPR012773)
- O-phosphoseryl-tRNA:Cys-tRNA synthase, archaea (IPR013375)
- Tryptophanase (IPR013440)
- Tyrosine phenol-lyase (IPR013441)
- Pyridoxal phosphate-dependent transferase (IPR015424)
- Cysteine desulfurase (IPR016454)
- Cysteine desulfurase DndA (IPR017644)
- Acetyl/Succinylornithine transaminase family, bacteria (IPR017652)
- L-lysine 6-transaminase (IPR017657)
- Putrescine aminotransferase (IPR017747)
- Cysteine desulfurase NifS, bacterial/archaeal (IPR017772)
- Cysteine desulfurase NifS, proteobacteria (IPR017773)
- Tryptophanase, conserved site (IPR018176)
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase, pyridoxal phosphate binding site (IPR019798)
- Succinyldiaminopimelate transaminase, DapC (IPR019877)
- Succinyldiaminopimelate transaminase, DapC, beta/gammaproteobacteria (IPR019878)
- 4-dedimethylamino-4-oxo-anhydrotetracycline transaminase OxyQ (IPR019880)
- Diaminopimelate aminotransferase, DapL, Desulfovibrio-type (IPR019881)
- LL-diaminopimelate aminotransferase/aminotransferase ALD1 (IPR019942)
- Aminotransferase class-V, pyridoxal-phosphate binding site (IPR020578)
- Decarboxylase MfnA, archaea (IPR020931)
- Cysteine desulphurase, catalytic subunit, CsdA (IPR022471)
- Aspartate 4-decarboxylase (IPR022518)
- 8-amino-7-oxononanoate synthase, Proteobacteria (IPR022834)
- Probable glycine dehydrogenase (decarboxylating) subunit 1 (IPR023010)
- Capreomycidine synthase (IPR023965)
- Serine-pyruvate aminotransferase/2-aminoethylphosphonate-pyruvate transaminase (IPR024169)
- Aminotransferase, putative (IPR024551)
- Putative phenylalanine aminotransferase (IPR024892)
- Low specificity L-threonine aldolase (IPR026273)
- Succinylornithine transaminase (IPR026330)
- Pyridoxal-phosphate-dependent protein EgtE (IPR027563)
- Putative C-S lyase (IPR027619)
- Fluorothreonine transaldolase (IPR030979)
- Enduracididine biosynthesis enzyme MppP (IPR031020)
- Enduracididine biosynthesis enzyme MppQ (IPR031021)
- Kynurenine--oxoglutarate transaminase 3 (IPR034612)
- Kynurenine--oxoglutarate transaminase 1 (IPR034614)
- Ornithine aminotransferase, bacterial type (IPR034757)
- Ornithine aminotransferase, mitochondrial (IPR034758)
- [LysW]-aminoadipate semialdehyde/glutamate semialdehyde transaminase (IPR037537)
- Serine hydroxymethyltransferase-like domain (IPR039429)
Pyridoxal phosphate is the active form of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine or pyridoxal). Pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) is a versatile catalyst, acting as a coenzyme in a multitude of reactions, including decarboxylation, deamination and transamination [PMID: 8690703, PMID: 7748903, PMID: 15189147]. PLP-dependent enzymes are primarily involved in the biosynthesis of amino acids and amino acid-derived metabolites, but they are also found in the biosynthetic pathways of amino sugars and in the synthesis or catabolism of neurotransmitters; pyridoxal phosphate can also inhibit DNA polymerases and several steroid receptors [PMID: 17109392]. Inadequate levels of pyridoxal phosphate in the brain can cause neurological dysfunction, particularly epilepsy [PMID: 16763894].
PLP enzymes exist in their resting state as a Schiff base, the aldehyde group of PLP forming a linkage with the epsilon-amino group of an active site lysine residue on the enzyme. The alpha-amino group of the substrate displaces the lysine epsilon-amino group, in the process forming a new aldimine with the substrate. This aldimine is the common central intermediate for all PLP-catalysed reactions, enzymatic and non-enzymatic [PMID: 15581583].
This entry represents domain 1 of PLP-dependent transferases. This domain has a complex alpha/beta structure [PMID: 17583737]. It can be found in the following PLP-dependent transferase families:
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AAT)-like enzymes, such as aromatic aminoacid aminotransferase AroAT, glutamine aminotransferase and kynureninase [PMID: 17300176].
- Beta-eliminating lyases, such as tyrosine phenol lyase and tryptophanase [PMID: 16790938].
- Pyridoxal-dependent decarboxylases, such as DOPA decarboxylase and glutamate decarboxylase beta (GadB) [PMID: 15690345].
- Cystathionine synthase-like enzymes, such as cystalysin, methionine gamma-lyase (MGL), and cysteine desulphurase (IscS) [PMID: 17014820].
- GABA-aminotransferase-like enzymes, such as ornithine aminotransferase and serine hydroxymethyltransferase [PMID: 15848278].
- Ornithine decarboxylase [PMID: 10666573].
No terms assigned in this category.
GO:0003824 catalytic activity
No terms assigned in this category.
- G3DSA:3.90.1150.10 (G3DSA:3.90.1150.10)