Pathways & interactions
Phosphotransferase system, EIIC component, type 1 (IPR013013)
Short name: PTS_EIIC_1
- Phosphotransferase system, EIIC (IPR003352)
- Phosphotransferase system, EIIC component, type 1 (IPR013013)
The phosphoenolpyruvate-dependent sugar phosphotransferase system (PTS) [PMID: 8246840, PMID: 2197982] is a major carbohydrate transport system in bacteria. The PTS catalyses the phosphorylation of incoming sugar substrates and coupled with translocation across the cell membrane, makes the PTS a link between the uptake and metabolism of sugars.
The general mechanism of the PTS is the following: a phosphoryl group from phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP) is transferred via a signal transduction pathway, to enzyme I (EI) which in turn transfers it to a phosphoryl carrier, the histidine protein (HPr). Phospho-HPr then transfers the phosphoryl group to a sugar-specific permease, a membrane-bound complex known as enzyme 2 (EII), which transports the sugar to the cell. EII consists of at least three structurally distinct domains IIA, IIB and IIC [PMID: 1537788]. These can either be fused together in a single polypeptide chain or exist as two or three interactive chains, formerly called enzymes II (EII) and III (EIII).
The first domain (IIA or EIIA) carries the first permease-specific phosphorylation site, a histidine which is phosphorylated by phospho-HPr. The second domain (IIB or EIIB) is phosphorylated by phospho-IIA on a cysteinyl or histidyl residue, depending on the sugar transported. Finally, the phosphoryl group is transferred from the IIB domain to the sugar substrate concomitantly with the sugar uptake processed by the IIC domain. This third domain (IIC or EIIC) forms the translocation channel and the specific substrate-binding site. An additional transmembrane domain IID, homologous to IIC, can be found in some PTSs, e.g. for mannose [PMID: 8246840, PMID: 1537788, PMID: 7815935, PMID: 11361063].
- The PTS EIIC type 1 domain is found in the Glucose class of PTS and has an average length of about 80 amino acids.
- The PTS EIIC type 2 domain is found in the Mannitol class of PTS and has an average length of about 90 amino acids.
- The PTS EIIC type 3 domain is found in the Lactose class of PTS and has an average length of about 100 amino acids.
- The PTS EIIC type 4 domain is found in the Mannose class of PTS and has an average length of about 160 amino acids.
- The PTS EIIC type 5 domain is found in the Sorbitol class of PTS and has an average length of about 190 amino acids.
- PS51103 (PTS_EIIC_TYPE_1)