Pathways & interactions
Alcohol dehydrogenase superfamily, zinc-type (IPR002085)
Short name: ADH_SF_Zn-type
- Alcohol dehydrogenase superfamily, zinc-type (IPR002085)
- 2-desacetyl-2-hydroxyethyl bacteriochlorophyllide a dehydrogenase (IPR005903)
- 6-hydroxycyclohex-1-ene-1-carbonyl-CoA dehydrogenase (IPR017614)
- Acrylyl-CoA reductase AcuI (IPR014188)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase class III/S-(hydroxymethyl)glutathione dehydrogenase (IPR014183)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase family, zinc-type, class-II subfamily (IPR028632)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase, phosphonate catabolism-associated, putative (IPR017743)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase, zinc-binding type 1 (IPR014182)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase, zinc-binding type 2 (IPR014187)
- Alcohol dehydrogenase, zinc-type, actinomycetes (IPR023921)
- Crotonyl-CoA reductase (IPR010085)
- Formaldehyde dehydrogenase, glutathione-independent (IPR014184)
- Glucose 1-dehydrogenase (IPR026583)
- L-threonine 3-dehydrogenase (IPR004627)
- Leukotriene B4 12-hydroxydehydrogenase/15-oxo-prostaglandin 13-reductase (IPR014190)
- Quinone oxidoreductase PIG3 (IPR014189)
- S-(hydroxymethyl)mycothiol dehydrogenase (IPR017816)
Alcohol dehydrogenase (EC:22.214.171.124) (ADH) catalyzes the reversible oxidation of
ethanol to acetaldehyde with the concomitant reduction of NAD:
- Zinc-containing 'long-chain' alcohol dehydrogenases.
- Insect-type, or 'short-chain' alcohol dehydrogenases.
- Iron-containing alcohol dehydrogenases.
In addition, this family includes an NADP-dependent quinone oxidoreductase encoded in bacteria by gene qor [PMID: 12624201, PMID: 14536026]. This type of enzymes are also found in yeast and mammals, where in some species, such as rodents, it has been recruited as an eye lens protein and is known as zeta-crystallin [PMID: 8486156]. The sequence of quinone oxidoreductase is distantly related to that other zinc-containing alcohol dehydrogenases and it lacks the zinc-ligand residues. The torpedo fish and mammalian synaptic vesicle membrane protein vat-1 is related to qor.
- PTHR11695 (PTHR11695)