Solute carrier family 13 (IPR001898)
Short name: SLC13A/DASS
Overlapping homologous superfamilies
- Solute carrier family 13 (IPR001898)
- Citrate carrier CitT-related (IPR030676)
Integral membrane proteins that mediate the intake of a wide variety of molecules with the concomitant uptake of sodium ions (sodium symporters) can be grouped, on the basis of sequence and functional similarities into a number of distinct families. The SLC13 family consists mainly of dicarboxylate and sulfate transporters [PMID: 16211368, PMID: 23506872], and includes of the following proteins:
- Mammalian sodium/sulphate cotransporter [PMID: 7690140].
- Mammalian renal sodium/dicarboxylate cotransporter [PMID: 8967342], which transports succinate and citrate.
- Mammalian intestinal sodium/dicarboxylate cotransporter.
- Chlamydomonas reinhardtii putative sulphur deprivation response regulator SAC1 [PMID: 8641280].
These transporters are proteins of from 430 to 620 amino acids which are highly hydrophobic and which probably contain about 12 transmembrane regions.