Sodium/sulphate symporter (IPR001898)
Short name: Na/sul_symport
- Sodium/sulphate symporter (IPR001898)
- Citrate carrier CitT-related (IPR030676)
Integral membrane proteins that mediate the intake of a wide variety of molecules with the concomitant uptake of sodium ions (sodium symporters) can be grouped, on the basis of sequence and functional similarities into a number of distinct families. One of these families currently consists of the following proteins:
- Mammalian sodium/sulphate cotransporter [PMID: 7690140].
- Mammalian renal sodium/dicarboxylate cotransporter [PMID: 8967342], which transports succinate and citrate.
- Mammalian intestinal sodium/dicarboxylate cotransporter.
- Chlamydomonas reinhardtii putative sulphur deprivation response regulator SAC1 [PMID: 8641280].
- Caenorhabditis elegans hypothetical proteins B0285.6, F31F6.6, K08E5.2 and R107.1.
- Escherichia coli hypothetical protein yfbS.
- Haemophilus influenzae hypothetical protein HI0608.
- Synechocystis sp. (strain PCC 6803) hypothetical protein sll0640.
- Methanocaldococcus jannaschii (Methanococcus jannaschii) hypothetical protein MJ0672.
These transporters are proteins of from 430 to 620 amino acids which are highly hydrophobic and which probably contain about 12 transmembrane regions.