Pathways & interactions
Membrane-associated, eicosanoid/glutathione metabolism (MAPEG) protein (IPR001129)
Short name: Membr-assoc_MAPEG
- Membrane-associated, eicosanoid/glutathione metabolism (MAPEG) protein (IPR001129)
- 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (IPR001446)
This entry represents a widespread superfamily known as MAPEG (Membrane Associated Proteins in Eicosanoid and Glutathione metabolism) [PMID: 10091672]. Included are:
- 5-lipoxygenase activating protein (gene FLAP), which seems to be required for the activation of 5-lipoxygenase.
- Leukotriene C4 synthase (EC:188.8.131.52), which catalyses the production of LTC4 from LTA4.
- Microsomal glutathione S-transferase II (EC:184.108.40.206) (GST-II), which also produces LTC4 from LTA4.
- Prostaglandin E synthase, which catalyses the synthesis of PGE2 from PGH2 (produced by cyclooxygenase from arachidonic acid).
Because of structural similarities in the active sites of FLAP, LTC4 synthase and PGE synthase, substrates for each enzyme can compete with one another and modulate synthetic activity.
- PF01124 (MAPEG)