Travel Fellowship Information
Travel Fellowship Desk Hours
The Travel Fellowship Desk will be located in the onsite conference registration area of the Stockholm International Fairs. The desk will be open during the following hours:
Monday, June 29 10:00am-2:30pm (4.5 hours) Tuesday, June 30 12pm - 2pm (2 hours) Wednesday, July 1 12pm - 2pm (2 hours) Thursday, July 2 8:30am-12:30pm (4 hours)
ISMB/ECCB 2009 is pleased to announce funding opportunities for students and postdoctoral fellows to present a talk or poster at the conference in Stockholm, Sweden. The conference organizers are committed to providing support to as many eligible applicants as possible.
Application is by invitation-only, sent automatically via email from the ISCB submission system to the submitting author of each accepted Paper, Poster, Highlights and Art in Science presentation. This invitation email will arrive after notification of acceptance to present at ISMB/ECCB 2009, as a separate email. Each invitation will include a unique travel fellowship application URL to link to an application. The application URL must be submitted by the presenting author only, and only if he or she meets the eligibility requirements noted below. If the submitting author is not the presenting author, it is the responsibility of the submitting author to forward the invitation to the presenting author. Each application URL can only be used one time and no application will be accepted after the deadline of April 7, 2009.
1. Applicant must be a current ISCB member whose membership does not expire prior to the last day of the conference. Applications will not be accepted from non-members; pending memberships do not qualify and must be paid in full prior to submission of an application.
2. Applicant must be listed as an author or co-author on the original submission of an accepted ISMB/ECCB 2009 Paper, Poster, Highlights, or Art in Science presentation, and, per the requirements of the funding agencies, the funded applicant must be the presenting author of the work. (Submitters to the "Call for Late Posters" are not eligible for fellowship funding.)
3. Applicant must be registered in a degree program (undergraduate or graduate) or as a postdoctoral research fellow at an accredited educational institution at the time of the conference.
4. Applicant must be prepared to register for ISMB/ECCB 2009 by the early registration deadline of May 15, 2009. If attendance at the conference is dependent on receipt of travel fellowship funds, please do not register until after the notification of travel fellowships. Any funded applicant failing to register for the conference by the early registration deadline of May 15 will automatically forfeit the funds so that another applicant can be awarded from the among the original pool of applicants.
5. Applicant must be able to pay all expenses of attending the conference up front, including conference registration fee (as noted in #4 above), travel, accommodations and meals.
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements above AND are a US citizen or US permanent resident AND belong to a minority group recognized as underrepresented in the sciences by the NIH please be aware that you qualify to apply for a Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) travel award through the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). These awards are meant to cover the full cost of attending the conference, and therefore we highly encourage all MARC eligible presenters to apply for these funds. For more information and to link to an application form, please see: http://marc.faseb.org/pages/page2a.htm and then click on Poster/Platform (Oral) Presenter Travel Award approximately midway down the page to access the MARC application form.
Further, funding to ISMB/ECCB 2009 will either be awarded through ISMB or through the MARC program, not both. However, because funding availability is very limited, an application to the MARC program is encouraged for all who meet the MARC eligibility criteria.
Eligible expenses toward travel fellowship funds include conference registration, transportation (air or land transportation from home region to conference city), a maximum of $500 USD of hotel room charges. In order to receive the full awarded amount, receipts for registration, transportation and hotel accommodations are required that equal or exceed the awarded amount. Conference registration fee is reimbursable at the early registration pricing only; registration fees to attend pre-conference events such as SIGs and Tutorials are not reimbursable expenses.
The maximum fellowship award is determined based on geographical location of applicant and upon submission of appropriate receipts. Please note that even funded applicants will not be able to cover all their expenses with these fellowship amounts. Thus we recommend that all applicants seek and secure additional funding sources (e.g., from your home institution/university, or grant funding). For 2009 maximum awards will be as follows:
|MAXIMUM FUNDS TO BE AWARDED PER REGION OF APPLICANT|
Swedish students should consider applying for funds directly from any of the following three funding sources in Sweden:
Applicants will be notified by May 8, 2009 of funding status. Funded applicants will be required to present evidence of their eligibility status (such as student identification card) at the conference to receive their funds. In most cases, funds will be mailed to funded applicants after the conference.
(1) The submitting author will be sent the invitation and is responsible for getting the invitation to the presenting author if the work is not being presented by the submitting author;
(2) Applicant must be a current member of ISCB prior to submitting an application;
(3) Applicant must be listed as an author and be the presenter of an accepted Paper, Poster, Highlights or Art in Science presentation in order to be eligible to apply for travel fellowship funds through ISMB or MARC;
(4) All applicants must secure additional funding from other sources in order to be able to cover the full costs of attending the conference;
(5) Applicant's that plan to apply for MARC funds must do so per the URL in the MARC Funding section above (not applicable as the additional funding source mentioned in summary item #4 above);
(6) The deadline to submit a fellowship application is April 7, 2009, by 11:59 PM in the time zone of your choice. No exceptions will be made.
Questions regarding fellowships should be addressed to: email@example.com